Get access to Protocol
Five companies are to receive the first round of funding from Amazon's $2 billion Climate Pledge Fund.
The Financial Times reports that the companies are:
- Redwood Materials, a startup founded by Tesla co-founder JB Straubel, which aims to extract lithium, cobalt and nickel from old smartphones.
- Rivian, the electric vehicle manufacturer that Amazon has previously invested in.
- Carbon Cure, which locks CO2 into concrete.
- Turntide Technologies, which makes efficient software-controlled motors.
- Pachama, which uses computer vision to monitor satellite imagery in order to assess the carbon offsetting commitments.
Jamie Condliffe ( @jme_c) is the news editor at Protocol, based in London. Prior to joining Protocol in 2019, he worked on the business desk at The New York Times, where he edited the DealBook newsletter and wrote Bits, the weekly tech newsletter. He has previously worked at MIT Technology Review, Gizmodo, and New Scientist, and has held lectureships at the University of Oxford and Imperial College London. He also holds a doctorate in engineering from the University of Oxford.