Bulletins

Sony says it won't leave PS4 players behind with new God of War game

One of Sony's biggest exclusive games will release for both PS4 and PS5.

Kratos prepares for battle with his son Atreus in the 2018 PlayStation hit God of War.

The sequel to 2018's God of War reboot is being delayed until 2022, but it's now coming to PS4, too.

Image: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Sony delivered some good and bad news for PlayStation owners on Wednesday, depending on your perspective around next-generation gaming. The good news: The next God of War game, titled God of War: Ragnarok, is coming to both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 platforms simultaneously. So if you haven't been able to buy Sony's new console or don't plan on it anytime soon, you can still reconnect with Kratos and his demigod son Atreus. The bad news: The game, from Sony-owned Santa Monica Studio, is being delayed to 2022.


The other, potentially bad news is that those hoping for a truly "next-gen" experience with Ragnarok might not get what they're asking for, if the game is to be optimized to run on hardware that came out in 2013. This has been a common point of dispute among gaming fans even before the release of Microsoft and Sony's new hardware, which allows players to play their existing libraries while enjoying new and existing titles with benefits like improved performance and resolution. When does it make sense to design a game to take full advantage of new hardware (like both consoles' new solid-state drives), and when is it a missed opportunity by leaving out all the consumers who haven't made the jump?

Here's PlayStation Studios's chief Hermen Hulst explaining the logic in an interview published to the company's blog earlier today:

You can't build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that'd be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business.

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we'll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

That being said, it's also very important to have showpieces for PS5, hence the development of Returnal and Ratchet that are exclusive to PS5.

Because the core architectures have remained the same in this transition to new console hardware, game developers have been able to more easily support cross-generation releases and to treat PlayStation and Xbox as more unified platforms. In rare cases, Sony has made a game exclusive to the PS5, like last year's Demon's Souls remake and the just-released rogue-like shooter Returnal. But those choices appear to be strategic calculations that a select game's appeal is niche enough to warrant restricting access to its new platform, which is currently experiencing severely restricted supply and has a player base just short of 8 million.

Compare that to the more than 110 million PS4 owners out there and you have a very obvious reason why Sony is interested in releasing new flagship titles like Horizon Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok on both generations at the same time. If Sony wants to sell tens of millions of copies of its big-budget first-party games, it can't afford not to.

Protocol | Policy

New report shows kids see COVID-19 misinfo on TikTok in minutes

A new report finds that kids as young as 9 are being fed COVID-19 misinformation on TikTok, whether they engage with the videos or not.

NewsGuard researchers asked nine kids to create new TikTok accounts and record their experiences on the app.

Photo: Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images

TikTok is pushing COVID-19 misinformation to children and teens within minutes of creating a new account, whether they actively engage with videos on the platform or not, a new report has found.

The report, published Wednesday by the media rating firm NewsGuard, raises questions not only about how effectively TikTok is enforcing its medical misinformation policies, but also about how its own recommendation algorithms are actively undermining those policies.

Keep Reading Show less
Issie Lapowsky

Issie Lapowsky ( @issielapowsky) is Protocol's chief correspondent, covering the intersection of technology, politics, and national affairs. She also oversees Protocol's fellowship program. Previously, she was a senior writer at Wired, where she covered the 2016 election and the Facebook beat in its aftermath. Prior to that, Issie worked as a staff writer for Inc. magazine, writing about small business and entrepreneurship. She has also worked as an on-air contributor for CBS News and taught a graduate-level course at New York University's Center for Publishing on how tech giants have affected publishing.


Keep Reading Show less
Nasdaq
A technology company reimagining global capital markets and economies.
Protocol | China

Beijing meets an unstoppable force: Chinese parents and their children

Live-in tutors disguised as nannies, weekday online tutoring classes and adult gaming accounts for rent. Here's how citizens are finding ways to skirt Beijing's diktats.

Citizens in China are experienced at cooking up countermeasures when Beijing or governments come down with rigid policies.

Photo: Liu Ying/Xinhua via Getty Images

During the summer break, Beijing handed down a parade of new regulations designed to intervene in youth education and entertainment, including a strike against private tutoring, a campaign to "cleanse" the internet and a strict limit on online game playing time for children. But so far, these seemingly iron-clad rules have met their match, with students and their parents quickly finding workarounds.

Grassroots citizens in China are experienced at cooking up countermeasures when Beijing or governments come down with rigid policies. Authorities then have to play defense, amending holes in their initial rules.

Keep Reading Show less
Shen Lu

Shen Lu is a reporter with Protocol | China. Her writing has appeared in Foreign Policy, The New York Times and POLITICO, among other publications. She can be reached at shenlu@protocol.com.

Protocol | Policy

Google and Microsoft are at it again, now over government software

The on-again, off-again battle between the two companies flared up again when Google commissioned a study on how much the U.S. government relies on Microsoft software.

Google and Microsoft are in a long-running feud that has once again flared up in recent months.

Photo: Jens Tandler/EyeEm/Getty Images

According to a new report commissioned by Google, Microsoft has an overwhelming "share in the U.S. government office productivity software market," potentially leading to security risks for local, state and federal governments.

The five-page document, released Tuesday by a trade group that counts Google as a member, represents the latest escalation between the two companies in a long-running feud that has once again flared up in recent months.

Keep Reading Show less
Ben Brody

Ben Brody (@ BenBrodyDC) is a senior reporter at Protocol focusing on how Congress, courts and agencies affect the online world we live in. He formerly covered tech policy and lobbying (including antitrust, Section 230 and privacy) at Bloomberg News, where he previously reported on the influence industry, government ethics and the 2016 presidential election. Before that, Ben covered business news at CNNMoney and AdAge, and all manner of stories in and around New York. He still loves appearing on the New York news radio he grew up with.

People

Facebook wants to kill the family iPad

Facebook has built the first portable smart display, and is introducing a new household mode that makes it easier to separate work from play.

Facebook's new Portal Go device will go on sale for $199 in October.

Photo: Facebook

Facebook is coming for the coffee table tablet: The company on Tuesday introduced a new portable version of its smart display called Portal Go, which promises to be a better communal device for video calls, media consumption and many of the other things families use iPads for.

Facebook also announced a revamped version of its Portal Pro device Tuesday, and introduced a new household mode to Portals that will make it easier to share these devices with everyone in a home without having to compromise on working-from-home habits. Taken together, these announcements show that there may be an opening for consumer electronics companies to meet this late-pandemic moment with new device categories.

Keep Reading Show less
Janko Roettgers

Janko Roettgers (@jank0) is a senior reporter at Protocol, reporting on the shifting power dynamics between tech, media, and entertainment, including the impact of new technologies. Previously, Janko was Variety's first-ever technology writer in San Francisco, where he covered big tech and emerging technologies. He has reported for Gigaom, Frankfurter Rundschau, Berliner Zeitung, and ORF, among others. He has written three books on consumer cord-cutting and online music and co-edited an anthology on internet subcultures. He lives with his family in Oakland.

Latest Stories