Bulletins

Google considered buying Epic to 'squelch' competition, court docs reveal

A new legal filing in Epic's app store fight reveals a shocking allegation about Google's strategy.

An image still of Epic Games' Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite video.

Epic says Google contemplated purchasing some or all of the company to deal with 'contagion' of Play Store competition.

Image: Epic Games

Google considered purchasing a part of or all of Fortnite maker Epic Games as part of a strategy to combat competitive pressure on Android's Google Play app marketplace, according to claims from Epic made in unsealed court filings made public on Thursday. News of the court filings was first reported earlier today by the Verge.


The documents in question are part of Epic's legal complaint against Google. Google only yesterday removed some of its prior redactions on the complaint and in turn revealed more of the alleged complaints between the two companies. Epic is currently suing the Android maker for alleged antitrust violations, as well as Apple over similar alleged antitrust violations, after both companies removed Fortnite from their respective app stores last year for bypassing restrictions on payment processing and both stores' 30% commission. The Apple case went to trial in May and is awaiting a verdict from the judge, while the Google case has yet to go to trial.

In the complaint, Epic claims, "Google has gone so far as to share its monopoly profits with business partners to secure their agreement to fence out competition, has developed a series of internal projects to address the 'contagion' it perceived from efforts by Epic and others to offer consumers and developers competitive alternatives, and has even contemplated buying some or all of Epic to squelch this threat." Epic cites an internal Google document discussing the plans, but most of the pertinent details are still sealed so not even Epic or its legal appears to be fully aware of concrete specifics.

It's not clear when Google contemplated acquiring Epic or how serious such plans were. Epic CEO Tim Sweeney wrote on Twitter that such a plan was "unbeknownst to us at the time," saying Epic only found out about it just now when the court documents in question were unsealed. "Whether this would have been a negotiation to buy Epic or some sort of hostile takeover attempt is unclear," Sweeney wrote. Later on, in response to another tweet, Sweeney said, "I'm just as curious about those documents as you are. Because of the protective order, I don't know what's in the files designated highly confidential, except for the excerpts Google just released."

Epic notably decided in 2018 to distribute Fortnite outside the Google Play store on Android, using its own launcher that had to be downloaded from the mobile web on an Android device. Later on, after Epic determined it was no longer viable to continue distributing Fortnite via sideloading, it relaunched Fortnite on Android through Google's store, though it was openly critical of Google at the time for the restrictions the company places on third-party app stores and sideloading. Epic would later cite this scenario as part of its antitrust claims against Google, saying the company makes it difficult to compete with the Play Store despite Android's open nature when compared to Apple's more restrictive iOS platform.

Other parts of the court documents point to conversations between Epic and Google regarding a "special deal" for Fortnite to bring it to the Play Store. As part of the negotiation, Epic claims Google representatives admitted to the "abysmal" experience of sideloading apps on Android as one reason why Fortnite should be distributed through the Play Store. "Google understands that the myriad barriers it erects to direct downloading have the effect of protecting its app distribution monopoly and limiting developers' ability to distribute their apps," Epic writes in its complaint.

Google has denied Epic's claims of antitrust violations. "The open Android ecosystem lets developers distribute apps through multiple app stores. For game developers who choose to use the Play Store, we have consistent policies that are fair to developers and keep the store safe for users," the company wrote in Epic's filing. "While Fortnite remains available on Android, we can no longer make it available on Play because it violates our policies. We will continue to defend ourselves against these meritless claims."

In a statement, Google said Epic's complaint mischaracterizes its internal discussions. "Epic's lawsuit is baseless and mischaracterizes our business conversations. Android provides more choices in mobile devices for developers and consumers," a company spokesperson told Protocol.

Update August 7, 3:37PM ET: Added statement from Google.

Latest Bulletins

Crypto broker Voyager Digital has filed for bankruptcy protection, days after suspending all trading and withdrawals on its service.

Keep Reading Show less

In order to hobble China’s ability to produce computer chips, U.S. officials are in talks with their counterparts in Holland to block a semiconductor manufacturing tool maker based there from exporting its machines to China, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday.

Keep Reading Show less

Stock and crypto trading service eToro has called off a SPAC merger and will stay private, the company said Tuesday. The company is also laying off about 6% of its staff.

Keep Reading Show less

Crypto lender Nexo announced Tuesday that it has signed a term sheet to acquire fellow lender Vauld for an undisclosed sum. While Nexo currently manages assets for about four million users, Vauld manages assets for about 100,000 people, according to the company’s estimates last year.

Keep Reading Show less

Twitter on Tuesday filed a suit against the Indian government in an attempt to limit government oversight over politically charged content moderation decisions. The lawsuit, filed in the Karnataka High Court, also alleges abuse of power by elected officials in India.

Keep Reading Show less

Tesla has lost its spot as the world's largest electric vehicle maker to BYD, the Chinese automaker backed by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway.

Keep Reading Show less

Ending a project that once sought to build a world-spanning financial network, Meta announced on the Novi website Friday that the pilot test of its blockchain-based money-transfer app would end in September.

Keep Reading Show less

In the wake of privacy concerns following Roe v. Wade being overturned, Google said Friday that it will start automatically deleting location history related to potentially sensitive places.

Keep Reading Show less

Voyager Digital said Friday it is suspending trading, deposits and withdrawals, in the latest sign of the deepening crisis in the crypto markets. Voyager said the move is meant to give the major crypto broker “additional time” to look for “strategic alternatives” as the company grapples with the impact of the market slump, CEO Stephen Ehrlich said in a statement.

Keep Reading Show less

BlockFi CEO Zac Prince said his company has signed a deal giving FTX the option to buy the crypto lender for up to $240 million as part of a credit financing agreement.

Keep Reading Show less

Tesla is facing yet another racial discrimination lawsuit, this one brought by 15 Black current and former employees who are suing the company in California.

The workers said the company’s culture allowed for “blatant, open and unmitigated race discrimination” and most of the alleged behaviors are said to have occurred at the company's factory in Fremont.

Keep Reading Show less

Klarna is close to raising new funding at a valuation of about $6.5 billion, which would be far below its last round raised last year, according to the Wall Street Journal. The move is the latest sign of the effects of inflation and the economic downturn on the fintech sector and "buy now, pay later" in particular.

Keep Reading Show less

Crypto companies will have to disclose just how much climate damage is tied to the tokens they're hawking. At least in Europe, that is.

Keep Reading Show less

Gene Levoff, Apple's former director of Corporate Law, pleaded guilty to insider trading, the Department of Justice announced Thursday.

Keep Reading Show less

New York state environmental regulators have declined to extend a key permit to a controversial cryptocurrency mining operation in the state's Finger Lakes region.

Keep Reading Show less

FTX is reportedly close to gobbling up BlockFi for about $25 million, though BlockFi's CEO has dismissed the talk as "market rumors."

Keep Reading Show less

The CFPB said it has terminated a sandbox deal that gave earned wage access provider Payactiv “temporary safe harbor from liability” under key lending regulations.

The CFPB granted Payactiv “special regulatory treatment” in December 2020 to offer “earned wage access” products that would allow employees to obtain wages they already earned before payday.

Payactiv gets paid back through a payroll deduction from the employee’s next paycheck. The company makes money through fees.

The CFPB said it had informed Payactiv early this month that it was “considering terminating the approval order in light of certain public statements the company made wrongly suggesting a CFPB endorsement of its products.”

The company requested that the CFPB end the sandbox order after notifying the agency that it planned to modify its product fee model, the CFPB said.

The move underlined the CFPB’s increasingly critical view of sandbox deals that the agency said “proved to be ineffective.”

Safwan Shah, Payactiv's founder and CEO, is credited with coining the term "earned wage access," which has been criticized by consumer advocates as being potentially predatory, especially when it comes to workers who don’t make much money.

Shah has argued that it benefits ordinary workers, citing a dieting principle: "The less you are paid, the more frequently you should be paid," he told Protocol in a 2021 interview. "If you're going to eat 500 calories, don't eat them in one sitting. Spread them throughout the day."

Correction: This story has been updated to correct the spelling of Payactiv's name. This story was updated June 30, 2022.

Samsung announced Wednesday that it has taken a significant step toward rolling out a next-generation manufacturing technology that has the potential to reshuffle the chip industry.

Keep Reading Show less

Amazon has censored search results related to LGBTQ+ products in the United Arab Emirates after being pressured by the government.

Keep Reading Show less

Grayscale is suing the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission after the regulator denied the company's bid to convert its bitcoin trust into an exchange-traded fund.

Keep Reading Show less

App developers in South Korea can now use third-party payment systems, Apple announced in a blog post Thursday.

Keep Reading Show less

An employee working for OpenSea's email delivery vendor misused their customer data access to download and share email addresses with an "unauthorized external party," the NFT marketplace wrote in a company blog post Wednesday. The employee worked for Customer.io.

Keep Reading Show less

Javier Soltero is leaving Google Workspace, Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian announced Wednesday in an email to staff viewed by Protocol. Soltero will leave his role effective July 15.

Keep Reading Show less

San Francisco-based game development tools provider Unity is laying off hundreds of employees, according to a report from Kotaku.

Keep Reading Show less

Niantic is reportedly cutting between 85 and 90 staff members, or 8% of its workforce.

Keep Reading Show less
Bulletins