Bulletins

CES 2022 looks doomed as Google, GM, Lenovo and Waymo pull out

Following those cancellations, CES organizers still put on a brave face.

CES 2022 looks doomed as Google, GM, Lenovo and Waymo pull out

After going all virtual in 2021, CTA had planned CES 2022 as a hybrid event.

Image: CES/Zoom/Protocol

More companies are pulling out of CES over health concerns: Both GM and Google announced Thursday afternoon that they were canceling their in-person presence at the trade show. Lenovo announced Wednesday that it won’t be participating in the show anymore, followed by a similar announcement from Alphabet-owned Waymo.


GM's plans had included the unveiling of the company's new Silverado EV during a keynote of CEO Mary Barra, which the company now plans to do during an online-only version of Barra's keynote.

Lenovo cited the pandemic as the reason for pulling out of the show, which begins Jan. 5. “CES UPDATE: After closely monitoring the current trends surrounding COVID, it is in the best interest of the health and safety of our employees, customers, partners, and our communities to suspend all on-site activity in Las Vegas,” the company said in a tweet.

"The safety and wellbeing of our team is our top priority, so based on quickly evolving COVID infection rates, Waymo has made the tough decision not to participate in person at CES’22," the self-driving car company tweeted Thursday. "We are aiming to still virtually participate in some CES-related events."

Intel announced Thursday that it would "move to a digital-first [...] experience with minimal on-site staff," and Hisense told Protocol that it canceled its in-person keynote, but will still have a booth at the show. This follows similar announcements from AT&T, Amazon, Meta, Pinterest, TikTok, Twitter and others, as well as news that T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert canceled his keynote speech, with the telco also announcing that “vast majority” of its team wouldn’t be attending in person.

Most of the companies pointed to health and safety concerns as the reason for pulling the plug. Amazon, for instance, said that the company and its Ring subsidiary wold “no longer have an on-site presence at CES" due to "the quickly shifting situation and uncertainty around the omicron variant,” while TikTok simply pointed to “the increase in positive COVID-19 cases across the country.”

iHeartMedia announced this week that it was canceling its popular CES party; MediaLink pulled the plug on its CES events, which in prior years had been must-attend events for media insiders. A large number of tech media outlets, including the Verge, CNET, Engadget and TechCrunch, also announced that they wouldn’t send any reporters to Las Vegas. (Protocol will be covering the show remotely as well.)

Following those cancellations, CES organizers still put on a brave face. In a statement to the Verge, the Consumer Technology Association pointed to the fact that it had only received 42 exhibitor cancellations thus far. “Registrations for both our digital access and our Las Vegas event are continuing to show strong momentum, with thousands more registrations in the last few days,” the group said.

After going all virtual in 2021, CTA had planned CES 2022 as a hybrid event, with a digital component accompanying the in-person trade show and conference programming. To keep attendees and exhibitors safe, CES is requiring proof of vaccination for any in-person attendance. CTA also announced that attendees must provide a negative COVID test result to enter the show, and that it will pass out free rapid tests to attendees.

Still, a looming winter COVID surge and international travel restrictions already stopped many companies from attending even before omicron became a major threat. Ford, Haier and its GE Appliances subsidiary as well as GoPro were among the companies that never signed on to the show to begin with.

Others began scaling back their CES plans weeks ago: TCL switched its keynote to a virtual format. Samsung, whose show floor presence had long been a major CES magnet, attracting thousands of onlookers, opted to make its booth open by invitation only.

Creative Strategies President Carolina Milanesi pointed out on Twitter this week that it is a lot harder for smaller companies to bow out of CES. “It's a much bigger investment for them with less flexibility to take a hit by dropping out,” she said. Some nonetheless announced this week that they decided to skip the show.

EV charger manufacturer JuiceBar, which was scheduled to show off a new product, canceled its in-person plans Wednesday. “CES is by far the most influential tech event in the world,” the company wrote on LinkedIn. “But with COVID-19 cases continuing to rise, we are prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and other attendees.”

Update: This post was updated Dec. 13 multiple times with details on GM's, Waymo's, Hisense's and Intel's plans for the show, and again Dec. 27 to include more information on Hisense's presence at the show.

Latest Bulletins

Stock and crypto trading service eToro has called off a SPAC merger and will stay private, the company said Tuesday. The company is also laying off about 6% of its staff.

Keep Reading Show less

Crypto lender Nexo announced Tuesday that it has signed a term sheet to acquire fellow lender Vauld for an undisclosed sum. While Nexo currently manages assets for about four million users, Vauld manages assets for about 100,000 people, according to the company’s estimates last year.

Keep Reading Show less

Twitter on Tuesday filed a suit against the Indian government in an attempt to limit government oversight over politically charged content moderation decisions. The lawsuit, filed in the Karnataka High Court, also alleges abuse of power by elected officials in India.

Keep Reading Show less

Tesla has lost its spot as the world's largest electric vehicle maker to BYD, the Chinese automaker backed by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway.

Keep Reading Show less

Ending a project that once sought to build a world-spanning financial network, Meta announced on the Novi website Friday that the pilot test of its blockchain-based money-transfer app would end in September.

Keep Reading Show less

In the wake of privacy concerns following Roe v. Wade being overturned, Google said Friday that it will start automatically deleting location history related to potentially sensitive places.

Keep Reading Show less

Voyager Digital said Friday it is suspending trading, deposits and withdrawals, in the latest sign of the deepening crisis in the crypto markets. Voyager said the move is meant to give the major crypto broker “additional time” to look for “strategic alternatives” as the company grapples with the impact of the market slump, CEO Stephen Ehrlich said in a statement.

Keep Reading Show less

BlockFi CEO Zac Prince said his company has signed a deal giving FTX the option to buy the crypto lender for up to $240 million as part of a credit financing agreement.

Keep Reading Show less

Tesla is facing yet another racial discrimination lawsuit, this one brought by 15 Black current and former employees who are suing the company in California.

The workers said the company’s culture allowed for “blatant, open and unmitigated race discrimination” and most of the alleged behaviors are said to have occurred at the company's factory in Fremont.

Keep Reading Show less

Klarna is close to raising new funding at a valuation of about $6.5 billion, which would be far below its last round raised last year, according to the Wall Street Journal. The move is the latest sign of the effects of inflation and the economic downturn on the fintech sector and "buy now, pay later" in particular.

Keep Reading Show less

Crypto companies will have to disclose just how much climate damage is tied to the tokens they're hawking. At least in Europe, that is.

Keep Reading Show less

Gene Levoff, Apple's former director of Corporate Law, pleaded guilty to insider trading, the Department of Justice announced Thursday.

Keep Reading Show less

New York state environmental regulators have declined to extend a key permit to a controversial cryptocurrency mining operation in the state's Finger Lakes region.

Keep Reading Show less

FTX is reportedly close to gobbling up BlockFi for about $25 million, though BlockFi's CEO has dismissed the talk as "market rumors."

Keep Reading Show less

The CFPB said it has terminated a sandbox deal that gave earned wage access provider Payactiv “temporary safe harbor from liability” under key lending regulations.

The CFPB granted Payactiv “special regulatory treatment” in December 2020 to offer “earned wage access” products that would allow employees to obtain wages they already earned before payday.

Payactiv gets paid back through a payroll deduction from the employee’s next paycheck. The company makes money through fees.

The CFPB said it had informed Payactiv early this month that it was “considering terminating the approval order in light of certain public statements the company made wrongly suggesting a CFPB endorsement of its products.”

The company requested that the CFPB end the sandbox order after notifying the agency that it planned to modify its product fee model, the CFPB said.

The move underlined the CFPB’s increasingly critical view of sandbox deals that the agency said “proved to be ineffective.”

Safwan Shah, Payactiv's founder and CEO, is credited with coining the term "earned wage access," which has been criticized by consumer advocates as being potentially predatory, especially when it comes to workers who don’t make much money.

Shah has argued that it benefits ordinary workers, citing a dieting principle: "The less you are paid, the more frequently you should be paid," he told Protocol in a 2021 interview. "If you're going to eat 500 calories, don't eat them in one sitting. Spread them throughout the day."

Correction: This story has been updated to correct the spelling of Payactiv's name. This story was updated June 30, 2022.

Samsung announced Wednesday that it has taken a significant step toward rolling out a next-generation manufacturing technology that has the potential to reshuffle the chip industry.

Keep Reading Show less

Amazon has censored search results related to LGBTQ+ products in the United Arab Emirates after being pressured by the government.

Keep Reading Show less

Grayscale is suing the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission after the regulator denied the company's bid to convert its bitcoin trust into an exchange-traded fund.

Keep Reading Show less

App developers in South Korea can now use third-party payment systems, Apple announced in a blog post Thursday.

Keep Reading Show less

An employee working for OpenSea's email delivery vendor misused their customer data access to download and share email addresses with an "unauthorized external party," the NFT marketplace wrote in a company blog post Wednesday. The employee worked for Customer.io.

Keep Reading Show less

Javier Soltero is leaving Google Workspace, Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian announced Wednesday in an email to staff viewed by Protocol. Soltero will leave his role effective July 15.

Keep Reading Show less

San Francisco-based game development tools provider Unity is laying off hundreds of employees, according to a report from Kotaku.

Keep Reading Show less

Niantic is reportedly cutting between 85 and 90 staff members, or 8% of its workforce.

Keep Reading Show less

Crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital has reportedly received a court order to liquidate after creditors sued the company over unpaid debts.

Keep Reading Show less

Just months after committing to spend $925 million on carbon dioxide removal, a collection of major tech companies has announced its first purchases. The group, operating under the banner of Frontier, announced it had purchased nearly 2,000 tons of CDR services from five companies. It's a small ripple in the CDR pond, but one Frontier hopes will turn into a wave to bring down the costs of removing carbon.

Keep Reading Show less
Bulletins