Protocol is seeking reporters who can report on and explain China and the most powerful players in the Chinese tech sector for decision makers in tech, business and policy around the world.
China is fast becoming the world's technology superpower, and understanding tech now means understanding China. Our China reporters will cover the nation’s biggest tech companies and the most important individuals in the sector — explaining what sophisticated business and policy readers outside the country need to know about working with or competing against them. The China reporters will also cover the Chinese government’s role in tech, both inside the country and beyond.
Of particular interest is coverage of Chinese enterprise computing and fintech, two areas in which Protocol already has strong and fast-growing teams, and candidates with expertise in those areas will be given preference.
What you'll need:
- Highly advanced or native Chinese reading (simplified) and speaking (Mandarin) ability.
- The ability to keep your finger on the pulse of tech development in China – through in-country sources, external reporting and the savvy use of China social media.
- A deep understanding of technology and a fearlessness toward diving into detail and learning what most journalists don't know.
- Creativity/resourcefulness at identifying and combining Chinese-language information sources in ways that others haven't.
- Previous experience writing in English for a public audience, preferably with a business focus.
- Flexibility in how you deliver news; you aren't tied to the article format, although you can excel within it.
Salary range: $80,000-$125,000
Location: We are open to candidates around the world.
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration and a growth mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, flexible paid time off in addition to paid holidays, as well as flexible hybrid work schedules and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best work. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.