Reporter, China Technology
Protocol is building a new, multidimensional team dedicated to the Chinese tech industry. Our journalists will report on the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country – and the impact China has on the U.S. tech industry – while our private researchers will deliver our sophisticated clients a differentiated look at Chinese technology they can't get anywhere else.
As part of this vision, Protocol seeks our inaugural full-time China Technology Reporter to cover the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country. As we build our China coverage, we want to deliver our readers scoops by mining Chinese-language information others have overlooked, and to explain some of the thorniest issues facing the world in terms more sophisticated than English-language readers are used to seeing.
You'll write about China – its tech companies, their internal dynamics, and how those companies interact with Beijing and the rest of the world. You'll help our influential U.S. readers understand what new trends to watch for, where major tech talent is going, and how China and its tech giants will impact our readers' lives and work.
You are a futurist who spots trends and developments before others. You like to find information no one else has yet, and to write about tomorrow's big thing, rather than writing another article about today's big thing. You infuse your journalism with answers to the questions: "what's next?" and "what should readers do about it?"
We want someone who nerds out on tech, gets China, reads the language without difficulty, and is comfortable delivering news and information in a variety of ways – including, but certainly not limited to, the article and newsletter format.
What you'll need:
- Highly advanced or native Chinese reading (simplified) and speaking (Mandarin) is a must.
- The ability to keep your finger on the pulse of tech development in China – either via in-country sources or a savvy use of China social media, or, ideally, both.
- A baseline understanding of technology and a fearlessness toward diving into detail and learning what most journalists don't know.
- Creativity/resourcefulness at identifying and combining Chinese-language information sources in ways that others haven't.
- Grounding in data science preferred.
- Previous experience writing in English for a public audience, preferably with a major media outlet.
- Flexibility in how you deliver news; you aren't tied to the article format, although you can excel within it.
Location: We welcome interested candidates from across the globe to apply.
- Please send a resume and a cover letter outlining why you're a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org and put job title China Tech Reporter in the subject line.
- Candidates who advance will be asked to take a writing test.
- Regrettably, we cannot take calls at this stage.
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a new media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration, and a growth-mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best journalism. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.