Researcher, China Technology
Protocol is building a new, multidimensional team dedicated to the Chinese tech industry. Our journalists will report on the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country – and the impact China has on the U.S. tech industry – while our private researchers will deliver our sophisticated clients a differentiated look at Chinese technology they can't get anywhere else.
Protocol seeks our inaugural full-time China Technology Research Associate to cover the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country. As we build our China practice, we want to deliver our sophisticated clients a differentiated look at Chinese technology by mining Chinese-language information others have overlooked. You'll analyze Chinese tech companies, their internal dynamics, what they're funding and acquiring, and how those companies interact with Beijing. You'll help clients understand what trends to watch for, where major tech talent is going, and how China and its tech giants will impact their work.
You will work with our Executive Director to identify new methods for sourcing Chinese-language data and text to discover new China tech stories and trends. We want someone who nerds out on tech, gets China, reads the language without difficulty, and is genuinely comfortable delivering insights verbally, pictographically and numerically.
What You'll Need:
- Highly advanced or native Chinese reading (simplified) and speaking (Mandarin) is a must.
- Grounding in data science required.
- Previous experience writing in English for clients, preferably with a prestigious consultancy or think tank.
- Previous experience interfacing with clients and presenting to clients preferred.
- The ability to keep your finger on the pulse of tech development in China – either via in-country sources or a savvy use of China social media, or, ideally, both.
- A baseline understanding of technology and a fearlessness toward diving into detail and learning more.
- Creativity/resourcefulness at identifying and combining Chinese-language information sources in ways that others haven't.
Location: We welcome interested candidates from across the globe to apply.
- Please send a resume and a cover letter outlining why you're a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Candidates who advance will be asked to take a writing test.
- Regrettably, we cannot schedule calls at this stage.
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a new media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration, and a growth-mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best journalism. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.