Protocol is building a new, multidimensional product team dedicated to building data products that uncover key global technology trends beyond just top-line narratives. A key initial area for Protocol | Intelligence is the impact China's tech has on the U.S. tech industry by mining Chinese-language information others have overlooked.
You will be an important part of building out new Protocol | Intelligence product sets across different tech areas, by first identifying new methods for sourcing Chinese-language data and text to discover new China tech trends, with strong potential to expand into other, non-China data products in the future.
- Report to the Protocol | Intel Product Manager and the Protocol | China Lead Data Scientist.
- Build and maintain ETL pipelines.
- Write web scrapers.
- Collaborate with other data scientists and analysts to ensure data quality.
What You'll Need:
- Experience with AWS or other cloud platforms.
- Experience with Python.
- Experience writing web scrapers.
- Experience with GitHub, Bitbucket or other version control tools.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Airflow, prefect.io or other workflow scheduling and orchestration tools.
- Experience with Docker.
- Experience working in a data engineer, data analyst or data science role where you had to build and maintain ETL pipelines.
- Comfortable reading Mandarin Chinese, but not required.
Location: We welcome candidates from across the country for remote work. We have teams in San Francisco, New York, London and Arlington, VA.
Apply: To apply, send a cover letter and resume, with Data Engineer in the subject line, to email@example.com. Please include sample code via file attachment or a link to a GitHub repo (Python preferred). Candidates who advance will be asked to take a technical exam. Regrettably, we cannot schedule calls at this stage.
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration and a growth mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, flexible paid time off in addition to paid holidays, as well as flexible hybrid work schedules and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best work. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.