Protocol is building a new, multidimensional team dedicated to the Chinese tech industry. Our journalists will report on the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country – and the impact China has on the U.S. tech industry – while our private researchers will deliver our sophisticated clients a differentiated look at Chinese technology they can't get anywhere else.
Protocol seeks a full-time Data Engineer to cover the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country. Our China practice delivers a differentiated look at Chinese technology by mining Chinese-language information others have overlooked. We help clients and readers understand Chinese tech companies, their internal dynamics, what they're funding and acquiring and how those companies interact with Beijing. We flag what trends to watch for, where major tech talent is going and how China and its tech giants will impact our clients' work.
You will work with our Executive Director and our Researcher - Data Scientist to build and maintain ETL pipelines, write web scrapers and collaborate with other data scientists and analysts to ensure data quality. You'll be part of an important Protocol business line that identifies new methods for sourcing Chinese-language data and text to discover new China tech stories and trends, with strong potential to expand into other, non-China data products in the future.
What You'll Need:
- Experience with AWS or other cloud platforms
- Experience with Python
- Experience writing web scrapers
- Experience with GitHub, Bitbucket or other version control tools
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Airflow, prefect.io or other workflow scheduling tools
- Experience with Docker
- Experience working in a data engineer, data analyst or data science role where you had to build and maintain ETL pipelines
- Comfortable reading Mandarin Chinese
Location: We welcome candidates from across the country for remote work. We will have offices in Arlington, VA, San Francisco, and New York.
- Please send 1) a resume, 2) a cover letter outlining why you're a good fit, and 3) sample code via file attachment or a link to a Github repo (Python preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Candidates who advance will be asked to take a technical exam.
- Regrettably, we cannot schedule calls at this stage.
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a new media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration, and a growth-mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best journalism. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.