Data Researcher, Chinese Technology
Protocol is building a new, multidimensional product team dedicated to building data products that uncover key global technology trends beyond just top-line narratives. A key initial area for Protocol | Intelligence is the impact China's tech has on the U.S. tech industry by mining Chinese-language information others have overlooked.
Protocol is seeking a full-time Chinese Technology Data Researcher to cover the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country. You will be an important part of building out new Protocol | Intelligence product by first identifying new methods for sourcing Chinese-language data and text to discover new China tech trends, with strong potential to expand into other, non-China data products in the future.
- Analyze Chinese tech companies, their internal dynamics, what they are funding and acquiring, and how those companies interact with Beijing and the impact of U.S. tech companies.
- Draft monthly written briefs based on Protocol's proprietary data sets.
- Create client-oriented data visualization charts and graphs.
- Conduct external research to validate trends seen in Protocol's proprietary data sets.
- Present findings to clients in both written and live briefings.
What You'll Need:
- Highly advanced or native Chinese reading (simplified) and speaking (Mandarin).
- Grounding in data science/statistical analysis.
- Familiarity or a willingness to learn SQL.
- Familiarity or willingness to learn R, Python or other scripting languages.
- Previous experience writing in English for senior clients, preferably with consultancy or a think tank.
- The ability to keep your finger on the pulse of tech development in China – either via in-country sources or a savvy use of China social media — ideally, both.
- A baseline understanding of technology and a fearlessness toward diving into detail and learning more.
- Creativity/resourcefulness at identifying and combining Chinese-language information sources in ways that others haven't.
- Previous experience presenting to clients preferred.
Location: We prefer candidates in the San Francisco, New York and Washington, D.C. areas but are open to other global locations as well.
Apply: To apply, send a cover letter and resume, with Data Researcher, China in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration and a growth mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, flexible paid time off in addition to paid holidays, as well as flexible hybrid work schedules and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best work. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.