Director of Media Relations (SF or NY)
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a new media company focused on the people, power and politics of the technology industry.
The technology business is no longer just an industry; it's a global power center with the sweep and impact of any nation's capital. At Protocol, we cover it like one. We have no agenda and just one goal: to arm the decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
Get what matters in tech, in your inbox every morning. Sign up for Source Code.
We are seeking a Director of Media Relations to join our growing team. The Director of Media Relations will work closely on two strategic initiatives.
Editorial booking: This role will work closely with our newsroom to identify and coordinate opportunities to promote Protocol's reporting on the airwaves. The ideal candidate will have solid news judgment, know how to effectively pitch our reporters and journalism, and have the entrepreneurial spirit to build Protocol's booking operation. They will have a great understanding of and appreciation for broadcast television and know the news cycle inside and out.
Company brand awareness: In addition, this role will also work closely with Protocol's president on an overall media strategy to magnify the larger Protocol brand and ethos into the media industry. This may include story placement about Protocol as a company, and speaker and thought leadership opportunities for Protocol senior leadership.
What You'll Do:
- Establish and leverage relationships with booking producers at broadcast/cable news networks, prominent podcasts and relevant radio programs.
- Keep a pulse on the news cycle, media trends and workings of broadcast/cable news networks to best align Protocol's reporters and journalism.
- Identify and foster new media talent within the newsroom.
- Contribute content to Protocol's Press page and social media accounts to maximize exposure of TV and radio hits.
- Work on larger Protocol company messaging.
- Seek story placement on Protocol as a company.
- Identify speaker and thought leadership opportunities for Protocol senior leadership.
What You'll Need:
- Proven work experience working in broadcast media or media relations.
- Strong interest in technology and business and an understanding of the broadcast news cycle.
- Strong team player attitude with outstanding interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Exceptional ability to multitask, excellent time management skills, and proven attention to detail along with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and demanding newsroom under pressure.
- Experience at early-stage companies preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our culture is defined by positivity, optimism, diverse thought and background, grit, total integrity, and a prioritization on innovation and urgency.
We value each team member. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Join us: To apply, send a resume and cover letter, with the type of job you're seeking in the subject line, to email@example.com.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best journalism. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities