Director of Strategic Partnerships, China
Protocol is building a new, multidimensional team dedicated to the Chinese tech industry. Our journalists will report on the intersection of technology and policy in the world's largest country – and the impact China has on the U.S. tech industry – while our private researchers will deliver to our sophisticated clients a differentiated look at Chinese technology they can't get anywhere else.
Protocol seeks an experienced Director of Strategic Partnerships, China with a passion for storytelling, innovation and China to join our dynamic and growing business team. The Director will leverage a deep understanding of China, and of the U.S. business community, to bring our differentiated China tech analysis to enterprise clients and to provide thoughtful, creative and consequential opportunities for brands to engage with our audience. The Director must be entrepreneurial, have a strong grasp of China, technology and innovation ecosystems, and offer the ability to craft insightful solutions as we problem solve for our clients. The ideal candidate will be ambitious with an eye towards leadership, as this startup will be growing rapidly over the next several years and will look first towards its early hires for potential to grow into managers and executives.
What You'll Do:
- Work with private clients to provide them with differentiated insights into China's technology ecosystem.
- Forge and lead integrated China-related partnerships for a wide range of clients including: Fortune 500 companies, startups, investment institutions, associations, coalitions, and non-profits.
- Conceptualize partnerships leveraging our journalism platforms for brand storytelling
- Build and maintain a sales pipeline
- Maintain and grow existing clients as well as agency relationships and research firms
- Respond to RFPs with creative solutions
What You'll Need:
- BA/BS degree
- 5+ years of experience in sales, digital advertising or marketing, or consulting
- A strong understanding of China, preferably bolstered by time spent in the country
- A track record of China-related work and success connecting clients to China-related insights and opportunities
- Chinese language skills strongly preferred
- Deep understanding of how owned, shared, earned, and paid media work together and remains on the forefront of industry trends
- Communication Skills: excellent oral and written communication skills to be used in presentations and written memos
- Prior experience in tech, media, and / or consulting and research sales preferred
- Passion for journalism: individual who reveres and respects the art, science and creativity involved in journalism
- Knowledge of technology influencer market: individual who understands the dynamic and complex ecosystem that drive decisions within the C-Suite around innovation, disruption and technology
- Experience witt, Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, Slack, Salesforce and other core collaboration technologies
- Creativity: individual who wants to think outside of turnkey solutions for clients and is willing to dig deep into their initiatives and KPIs to create campaigns that will move the needle
- Initiative: individual who has a desire to grow within their role and not only take on but create new opportunities
- Collaboration: individual with the ability to collaborate across departments and work closely with our marketing and editorial teams to balance the company's ambitions and editorial integrity with client goals.
- Please send a resume and a cover letter outlining why you're a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Candidates who advance will be asked to take a writing test.
- Regrettably, we cannot schedule calls at this stage.
From the publisher of POLITICO, Protocol is a new media company focused on the people, power and politics of tech — arming decision-makers in tech, business and public policy with the unbiased, fact-based news and analysis they need to navigate a world in rapid change.
We are driven by our values. We are relentless contributors, disruptors, collaborators and talent cultivators. Our organization is defined by our values of fairness, integrity, inclusion, collaboration, and a growth-mindset.
We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package, including health and wellness benefits, retirement plans, as well as work-life balance flexibility and opportunities for career development.
Protocol believes a diverse and inclusive workplace enables us to do our best journalism. We welcome inquiries from people of all backgrounds. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.