Fintech

Neobanks struggle for profits as funding shrinks

Varo’s CEO says the company is cutting costs to become profitable, but neobanks have rarely been able to break even.

Piggy bank getting stormed on

It remains to be seen just how much the fintech slowdown will reshape the digital banking startup sector.

Illustration: Christopher T. Fong/Protocol

The recent layoffs at Varo are just the latest sign of the squeeze neobanks are feeling as investors’ enthusiasm for the sector cools.

Varo last week cut 75 jobs, or 10% of its staff, a move CEO Colin Walsh wrote was necessary to ensure the digital bank has "sufficient capital to execute on our strategy and path to profitability."

Making money has proven an elusive goal for tech-powered banking upstarts. Just 5% of about 400 global neobanks identified by research firm Simon-Kucher and Partners have reached a breakeven point, according to a May report. That didn't matter as much when venture capital investors were pumping fintechs with funding in 2021. But the cooling of the market has clearly squeezed some startups.

"The pendulum has rapidly swung from favoring growth above all else to emphasizing a clear route to profitability — something neobanks lack," said Jason Mikula, a fintech consultant and author of the Fintech Business Weekly newsletter.

Funding slows

Fintech firms raised $20.4 billion in the second quarter of 2022, down by roughly half from the same period in 2021, according to CB Insights, and PitchBook is reporting similar figures. Banking-focused fintech startups raised $1.9 billion during the quarter, an almost 80% year-over-year drop.

The decline in the private markets mirrors the performance of fintech companies in the public market. The ARK Fintech Innovation ETF is down 60% on the year as of Tuesday, compared to a roughly 27% slide for the broader Nasdaq composite index.

While the term neobank has been applied to a broad range of fintech business models, it most often is used to describe tech-driven startups that offer some form of banking service, such as online checking accounts.

Neobanks such as Varo and competitors Current and Chime have together raised billions from investors and built up bases of millions of customer accounts. They offer free banking accounts to low- and middle-income consumers, whose incomes might leave them vulnerable to overdraft fees and maintenance costs at traditional banks. Most of the firms’ revenue comes through collecting interchange fees on card swipes.

Varo in 2020 became the first U.S. neobank to receive a national banking charter. The process took three years and cost a reported $100 million. The charter allows the firm to directly hold and lend against customer deposits — a bread-and-butter moneymaker for traditional banks.

But, as Mikula detailed in a recent newsletter, Varo has yet to build a significant lending operation. About 98% of its revenue still comes from interchange fees as of the first quarter, along with fees from ATM withdrawals and a cash-advance program.

“Most American neobanks cater to lower-income customers, who previously may have incurred overdraft, [non-sufficient fund fees] and maintenance fees at big establishment banks,” Mikula told Protocol. “But these consumers also tend to be higher credit risk, making it challenging to lend to them. No U.S. neobank has built a meaningful lending business.”

He added, “Without material lending and having foregone most service fee revenue, that leaves neobanks with interchange and, so far, that doesn't seem to be enough.”

Indeed, first-quarter regulatory filings showed Varo was burning through cash so fast it could be out of money before the end of the year, as Mikula wrote in May, despite raising a $510 million series E round in September 2021. After that report in May, Walsh told Banking Dive that Varo had “sufficient capital to reach profitability.”

Varo is also limiting hiring and cutting back on marketing spending, Walsh wrote. Varo declined to comment on its layoffs beyond Walsh's blog post and did not respond to requests for a follow-up interview on its strategy.

End of an era?

The slowdown for fintech funding has already forced layoffs across the industry. It remains to be seen just how much it reshapes the digital banking startup sector.

Ron Shevlin, chief research officer for Cornerstone Advisors, recently declared in a Forbes column that the "End of the Neobank Era" had arrived. In an interview, he explained that he is not predicting that any companies are going out of business but that business models will change.

"The days of fintech startups going after middle- to low-income consumers in the name of inclusion, it is very noble and altruistic but it has not yet built a sustainable business," Shevlin told Protocol. "You have to find other ways of generating revenue and generating profits."

Neobanks going forward will need to have a clear path to profits rather than a focus on growing customer accounts, he said.

Walsh’s blog post hinted at a new strategy for Varo in announcing the layoffs. He wrote that the company is establishing a new business unit called Varo Tech to "bring together the technology, design, data and product functions under a single umbrella."

Details are sparse beyond that. But there is precedent for consumer-focused fintechs to spin out parts of their products as business-to-business products. Credit card company Petal, for instance, last year launched Prism Data, which made its underwriting technology available to other companies.

There is also the possibility for consolidation in the space, as many are predicting the tight market will lead to more mergers and acquisitions. Capital One CEO Richard Fairbank said last week that fintech valuations are no longer “breathtaking” and the company is in the market for the right acquisition. Some experts have suggested neobanks such as Varo could merge with a fintech lender to boost that side of the business.

David Becker, CEO of the Indiana-chartered First Internet Bank, noted that there have been shakeouts before for tech firms offering digital banking services. First Internet Bank, founded in 1997, is a rare survivor from a group of dozens of online-only banks that popped up during the dot-com boom of the late ’90s and closed after the bubble burst. If the current market slowdown continues, he said, there is a lesson to be learned from the companies that survived that era.

"You really have to offer the full suite of services, because customers don't want to bank in six different places," Becker said. "You need to offer the full suite — or customers will find someone else who can."

Fintech

Binance’s co-founder could remake its crypto deal-making

Yi He is overseeing a $7.5 billion portfolio, with more investments to come, making her one of the most powerful investors in the industry.

Binance co-founder Yi He will oversee $7.5 billion in assets.

Photo: Binance

Binance co-founder Yi He isn’t as well known as the crypto giant’s colorful and controversial CEO, Changpeng “CZ” Zhao.

That could soon change. The 35-year-old executive is taking on a new, higher-profile role at the world’s largest crypto exchange as head of Binance Labs, the company’s venture capital arm. With $7.5 billion in assets to oversee, that instantly makes her one of the most powerful VC investors in crypto.

Keep Reading Show less
Benjamin Pimentel

Benjamin Pimentel ( @benpimentel) covers crypto and fintech from San Francisco. He has reported on many of the biggest tech stories over the past 20 years for the San Francisco Chronicle, Dow Jones MarketWatch and Business Insider, from the dot-com crash, the rise of cloud computing, social networking and AI to the impact of the Great Recession and the COVID crisis on Silicon Valley and beyond. He can be reached at bpimentel@protocol.com or via Google Voice at (925) 307-9342.

Sponsored Content

How cybercrime is going small time

Blockbuster hacks are no longer the norm – causing problems for companies trying to track down small-scale crime

Cybercrime is often thought of on a relatively large scale. Massive breaches lead to painful financial losses, bankrupting companies and causing untold embarrassment, splashed across the front pages of news websites worldwide. That’s unsurprising: cyber events typically cost businesses around $200,000, according to cybersecurity firm the Cyentia Institute. One in 10 of those victims suffer losses of more than $20 million, with some reaching $100 million or more.

That’s big money – but there’s plenty of loot out there for cybercriminals willing to aim lower. In 2021, the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) received 847,376 complaints – reports by cybercrime victims – totaling losses of $6.9 billion. Averaged out, each victim lost $8,143.

Keep Reading Show less
Chris Stokel-Walker

Chris Stokel-Walker is a freelance technology and culture journalist and author of "YouTubers: How YouTube Shook Up TV and Created a New Generation of Stars." His work has been published in The New York Times, The Guardian and Wired.

Policy

Trump ordered social media visa screening. Biden's defending it.

The Knight First Amendment Institute just lost a battle to force the Biden administration to provide a report on the collection of social media handles from millions of visa applicants every year.

Visa applicants have to give up any of their social media handles from the past five years.

Photo: belterz/Getty Images

Would you feel comfortable if a U.S. immigration official reviewed all that you post on Facebook, Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter or even YouTube? Would it change what you decide to post or whom you talk to online? Perhaps you’ve said something critical of the U.S. government. Perhaps you’ve jokingly threatened to whack someone.

If you’ve applied for a U.S. visa, there’s a chance your online missives have been subjected to this kind of scrutiny, all in the name of keeping America safe. But three years after the Trump administration ordered enhanced vetting of visa applications, the Biden White House has not only continued the program, but is defending it — despite refusing to say if it’s had any impact.

Keep Reading Show less
Anna Kramer

Anna Kramer is a reporter at Protocol (Twitter: @ anna_c_kramer, email: akramer@protocol.com), where she writes about labor and workplace issues. Prior to joining the team, she covered tech and small business for the San Francisco Chronicle and privacy for Bloomberg Law. She is a recent graduate of Brown University, where she studied International Relations and Arabic and wrote her senior thesis about surveillance tools and technological development in the Middle East.

Policy

The US plans to block sales of older chipmaking tech to China

The Biden administration will attempt to roll back China’s chipmaking abilities by blocking tools that make a widely used type of transistor other chipmakers have employed for years.

By using a specific, fundamental building block of chip design as the basis for the overall policy, the White House hopes to both tighten existing controls and avoid the pitfalls around trying to block a generation of manufacturing technology.

Illustration: Christopher T. Fong/Protocol

The Biden administration has for several months been working to tighten its grip on U.S. exports of technology that China needs to make advanced chips, with the goals of both hurting China’s current manufacturing ability and also blocking its future access to next-generation capabilities.

According to two people familiar with the administration’s plans, President Joe Biden’s approach is based around choking off access to the tools, software and support mechanisms necessary to manufacture a specific type of technology that is one of the fundamental building blocks of modern microchips: the transistor.

Keep Reading Show less
Max A. Cherney

Max A. Cherney is a senior reporter at Protocol covering the semiconductor industry. He has worked for Barron's magazine as a Technology Reporter, and its sister site MarketWatch. He is based in San Francisco.

Entertainment

Netflix Games had its best month yet. Here's what's next.

A closer look at the company’s nascent gaming initiative suggests big plans that could involve cloud gaming and more.

Netflix’s acquisitions in the gaming space, and clues found in a number of job listings, suggest it has big plans.

Illustration: Christopher T. Fong/Protocol

Netflix’s foray into gaming is dead on arrival — at least according to the latest headlines about the company’s first few mobile games.

“Less than 1 percent of Netflix’s subscribers are playing its games,” declared Engadget recently. The article was referencing data from app analytics company Apptopia, which estimated that on any given day, only around 1.7 million people were playing Netflix’s mobile games on average.

Keep Reading Show less
Janko Roettgers

Janko Roettgers (@jank0) is a senior reporter at Protocol, reporting on the shifting power dynamics between tech, media, and entertainment, including the impact of new technologies. Previously, Janko was Variety's first-ever technology writer in San Francisco, where he covered big tech and emerging technologies. He has reported for Gigaom, Frankfurter Rundschau, Berliner Zeitung, and ORF, among others. He has written three books on consumer cord-cutting and online music and co-edited an anthology on internet subcultures. He lives with his family in Oakland.

Latest Stories
Bulletins