Get access to Protocol
Tech companies have done remarkably well in this year's Emmy nominations: Netflix has the most of any studio, with 160 nominations across its dizzyingly expansive portfolio.
"Ozark" led the Netflix charge with 18 nominations. Netflix's total beat even HBO, though the latter picked up the most for any single show thanks to "Watchmen." (HBO's not included in the chart above because it's not really a tech company, though we might change our mind next year because of HBO Max.)
Other tech companies lagged far behind. Amazon pulled in 31 noms (one of which was for an Alexa ad), while newcomers Apple and Disney+ got 20 and 19, respectively. The most impressive win, though, was Quibi: Jeffrey Katzenberg's much derided streaming platform has already been nominated for 10 Emmys.
- With 24/7 programming, the future of TV looks a lot like its past ... ›
- Amazon is looking to add live TV to Prime Video - Protocol ›
- Google's next streaming device will shake up Android TV world ... ›
- Tech crashes Hollywood's party - Protocol ›
- Quibi hoped for 7.5 million subscribers in year one. An analyst says ... ›